Our Pilates Home Exercise Mat Sequence demonstrates the following:
- An abdominal “curl back” warm-up exercise that reinforces the strengthening and engaging of the core muscles. The addition of a soft sponge ball will further deepen the use of the lower abdominal muscles and the inner thighs.
- The spine is also warmed up with articulation, flexion and extension of the spine.
- Adding spinal rotation (optional) to the exercise will further enhance the warm up.
- Transition to the Single Leg Circles which will reinforce pelvic stability, working in the hip joint, hamstring stretch, breath and co-ordination. Repeat 5 circles each direction and repeat to the other side.
- The Abdominal Series improves core strength with control, working from the body’s center, precision and flowing movement. Repeat each variation 8 – 10x.
- Transition to a seated position to perform Spine Stretch. Hips are anchored to the mat while the torso lengthens upward from this base support and through the crown of the head . On the exhale of the breath the spine rounds forward into a C-curve also giving a nice stretch to the hamstring muscles. On the inhale of the breath the spine articulates or sequences back to vertical.
- Transitioning into a prone position, Neck Roll will follow. This exercise enhances the strength of the upper back extensors and improves neck mobility. Neck roll is a good way to counterbalance our far too often rounded forward sitting position (such as at a computer). Abdominal muscles are tightly engaged to maintain proper positioning.
- Lastly in this sequence, it is nice to incorporate the rest position or child pose to relax.